Sustana is seeking a Manager or Associate Director (dependent on level of experience), Climate and Nature, to join our global Sustainability Team in North America.
Sustana, a Blackstone portfolio company, is the leading manufacturer of sustainably produced, premium recycled fiber and paper, utilizing post-consumer material to create high-quality, low carbon footprint products. As a trusted voice in sustainable paper, fiber, and packaging manufacturing, we help customers (e.g., Patagonia, Starbucks, Kellogg’s, and Ford), suppliers, investors, and other stakeholders achieve their sustainability goals.
Reports to: This is a senior level position reporting directly to Vice President of Sustainability
Location: The position will be 100% remote, based in the U.S.A. or Canada, with limited travel requirements to our facilities, conferences and/or partner locations.
- Work closely with the ESG Committee members to further develop and implement our climate and nature strategies and plans
- Lead and/or support implementation of our low-carbon transition plan and various decarbonization initiatives
- Manage our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventory, including Scope 3 emissions
- Support product life cycle assessments and circularity initiatives
- Work closely with the Associate Director, Social Impact, to ensure climate and nature strategies and initiatives integrate and address social impact issues (e.g., environmental justice; human rights; and equity, diversity, and inclusion)
- Develop relationships and collaborate with climate and nature points of contact with our suppliers and customers to support achievement of our goals
- Lead and/or support climate and nature (e.g., biodiversity) risk assessments
- Translate high-level targets and goals into operational metrics, track and manage initiatives’ delivery timeframes, and communicate progress to internal and external stakeholders
- Support the development of Sustana’s annual external sustainability report and internal quarterly ESG reporting for climate and nature-related topics
What You Will Need To Succeed
- Experience managing corporate GHG emissions inventories in accordance with the GHG Protocol Corporate and Value Chain Standards
- Track record in developing low-carbon transition plans and setting climate mitigation targets
- Experience with the Science-based Target Initiative (SBTi) is a plus!
- Strong understanding of the Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) recommendations and experience conducting climate risk assessments
- Knowledge of nature-related risk and opportunity assessments (e.g., TNFD and Natural Capital Protocol)
- Experience conducting nature/biodiversity risk assessments is a plus!
- Strong quantitative skills are essential
- Experience with renewable energy procurement and carbon markets is a plus
- Experience in the paper, fiber and packaging industry is preferable, but not essential
- Excellent communication skills and experience with cross-departmental collaboration
- French language is a plus
- Education: Minimum of a bachelor’s degree (or university equivalent) is required; Advanced degree with a focus in environmental science, climate or sustainability-related field is preferred.
Collaborates with: other Sustainability Team members, ESG Committee members (HR, EHS, Marketing, Operations, Finance, R&D, etc.), ERM Committee members, suppliers, and customers
Benefits: At Sustana we offer our employees full benefit package to include:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance for employees and their families
- Health Savings Account
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Paid Holidays and Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Cassandra Schienebeck, Director of Human Resources, US @ firstname.lastname@example.org